- 1 lb chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into bite sized pieces.
- 3 Tbsps rice wine (Shaoxing).
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- 1/4 tsp white pepper.
- 2 tsps cornstarch.
- 5 ribs celery, cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut into thirds.
- 1/2 lb white button mushrooms, slice.
- 1 can whole water chestnuts, drained and quartered.
- 20 snow pea pods, cut into thirds.
- 8 green onions, cut into 1/2 inch lengths, white parts and 1/2 green parts.
- 1 cup cashews, roasted and salted.
- 1 can, 14 oz lower sodium chicken broth (I like Swanson Natural Goodness).
- 2 Tbsps dark soy sauce.
- 2 Tbsps oyster sauce.
- 2 tsps sugar.
- 3 Tbsps cornstarch cooking oil for stir frying (I use canola).
- 1/3 cup water.
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil.
- 2 to 3 cups white rice, cooked (optional).
Mix marinade ingredients and add the chicken, stirring to coat well. Set aside to marinate (about 15 -20 minutes). If you are serving rice with your meal, now is a good time to start it cooking.
Mix the sauce ingredients until the cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside. Heat the wok and add 1 Tbsp oil. When oil is hot, add carrots and stir fry for 1 minute. Add celery and continue stir frying for one more minute. Add the 1/3 cup water and cover the wok. Let carrots and celery steam for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
Drain in a colander and set aside. Wipe out the wok and add 2 Tbsp oil. When hot, add mushrooms and stir fry until almost done (the mushrooms will turn darker and release some of their moisture). Add the water chestnuts, snow pea pods and green onions. Stir fry for about 1 minute, until the snow peas and green onions turn a brighter green. Add to the carrots and celery in the colander.
Wipe out the wok and add 2 Tbsp oil. When hot, add the chicken with its marinade. Stir fry until the chicken is almost cooked through (about 3 to 5 minutes). Give the sauce a stir to remix the cornstarch and add it to the chicken in the wok. Cook and stir until the sauce is thickened and the cornstarch has turned clear(2 to 3 minutes). Add the vegetables and stir to coat everything evenly with the sauce. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the dark sesame oil. Stir again and top with the cashews.
Serve over rice.