Italian flavors are famous for its herbs and implicit taste. One such recipe is Pesto which has a great taste and health as well. This is an Italian sauce bought right from the grandmother’s kitchen. The sauce is easy to make and can be served with many things as pasta and roasted potatoes.
Prep time: 7 minutes
Total time: 7 minutes
Pesto is an Italian sauce which is known for its great toss with pasta. This Italian taste is easy to prepare and is healthy. The main ingredients of this are nuts, olive oil, and basil and cheese all which has a good nutritional grip. The total nutritional value of Pesto is 230 calories. However the sauce is taken with different main food plans.
Main ingredients required
Pesto is an ancestral gift which is generally called grandmother’s recipe. The ingredients in this particular recipe is very healthy and made according to its compatibility with several meals like pasta, chicken breast, spinach and many more. Being a gift of accustomed Italian culture the main ingredients are also very nutritious. These main ingredients are
- Pine nuts or walnuts (2 tablespoons)
- Extra virgin olive oil (3 tablespoons)
- Garlic cloves (2)
- Basil leaves (4 cups)
- Fresh grated cheese (1/2 cup)
- Salt to taste about ¼ teaspoon.
- Black pepper (freshly ground, according to taste)
These ingredients can be bought from market and are easily available. The basil leaves should be fresh and the cheese preferred is Parmesan cheese which is labeled as in and available at stores.
Preparation or method
- Take a blender or a food processor and a spatula.
- Now drop nuts either walnuts or pine nuts into the blender and add peeled garlic. Let it get finely minced and process until the garlic and nuts are mixed and minced.
- After this add extra virgin olive oil and process it for 1 minute.
- Now add basil leaves and mince it until it is finely chopped and a texture of sauce comes out. The texture of the sauce should be finely chopped and mixed to be smooth.
- Add parmesan cheese to it and blend till another 1 minute to mix the flavor of cheese in the pesto.
- At last add salt to it, according to the taste and quantity.
- And then black pepper and blend it for the last time.
- For perfect flavor process it properly in the blender so that the taste of each ingredient comes out in a perfect manner.
Any possible variations
- Variations can be made in this recipe; one can preferably choose walnuts in place of pine nuts. Though the walnuts are not processed, it takes comparatively more time to process it.
- Cheese- it can be replaced. Parmesan cheese can be replaced by Reggiano or Romano cheese. This variation depends on availability.
How to garnish/serve
Serving is the first impression for any recipe. Taste is the heart but the way it looks is the backbone of food and therefore it is very important to garnish and present the food well. Pesto is a sauce but the way it is exhibited really matters for taste and look. It can be served with over potatoes which are baked with salt and a pinch of pepper. It can also be served with toasted baguette slices. Can be spread over pasta and garnished with pinch of roasted nuts and a bunch of basil leaf at the middle.
How to store
The left out material can be stored in refrigerators and should be used within a week. Anyhow the storage of basil leaves should be done until it is fresh and is not tasteless. Pesto can be refrigerated but in that case cheese is omitted as it does not freeze properly. The food is first freeze and stored. At the time of sage it can be defreeze and cheese can be added and blended properly. This can be served after blending.
The proper way to freeze the Pesto is to put it in ice cube tray and wrap with a plastic. When it properly freezes removes from the ice tray and refrigerates it, later defreeze and use it.
- To add taste, the nuts can also be roasted before blending.
- Garlic cloves should be properly peeled before using.
- If refrigerated, make sure not to add cheese.
- Scrape the sides of the blender continuously.
- Use spatula for mixing of ingredients before blending.
- If using walnuts, blend it properly.
- Use extra virgin olive oil only.
- Before serving make sure the ingredients are into a sauce texture.
Read more: Top best bottle warmer reviews